Monodéndri was built around 1360 AD Among the villages Vitsa and Monodendri, next to a public road,and was discovered in 1965 as the first known village of Epirus with two cemeteries. The rich finds are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum of Ioannina.
Monodéndri has 7 churches. The oldest of these are: the monastery of Agia Paraskevi, 1412 AD, Saint Minas,1625 AD, the monastery of the Prophet Elias, 1664 AD and the central church of St. Athanasios, AD 1801.
Monodéndri is the hometown of the great national benefactor brothers Manthos and George Rizari, who gave their fortune that they have acquired in Russia, establishing institutions and through the creation, in 1844, of the homonymous historical Church School in Athens, with the great offer today in the Orthodoxy and the Education of the Nation. Today Rizarios Institution ministers at the same time to the development of the birthplace of the Rizari Brothers and the wider region of Zagoria.
From Monodéndri came also the "father of the Greek agriculture 'Spyros Chassiotis, the first mayor of Athens John Koniaris, the founder of pediatric science in our country Anastasios Zinnis, the great Hellenist Dimitrios Semitelos and other eminent men.